12.12.07

A sense of humbleness

One of the things I was always raised with was to be compared to people. I don't know if that's really a good thing or a bad thing (most people seem to regard this as a bad thing) but typically my parents (and eventually, I myself) frequently refer to others like role models and the oh so famous line, "why can't you be like them". I think in regards to most people, eventually they started comparing themselves to worse people and saying "its a good thing I'm not like them" or to just stop comparing themselves. But as a person myself I still look to the skills and achievements of others, and at the same time realize the insignificance I am compared to many of these people. It's a dejecting feeling, to know that you haven't in the least accomplished as much as others have, even more so if they're about the same age as you; but musing it over it appears that it can't be helped. It's always a disappointing feeling for myself when I realize myself as "just average"; on the one hand it could be worse, but it could always be better. This is the scenario to be dealt with all the time, no matter how much I want to better or worse my life.
The obvious solution to this is, of course, stop being lazy, stop procrastinating, do more in life. In terms of procrastination, I attempt to do things a little at a time so it they don't build up, so despite my ADHD I'm not sure of that's a particular problem, however, it seems difficult to devote myself to work aside from school work (and more recently, lab work). I believe this will not fare well for me in the future and in real life, and indeed if I could overcome this problem, I can probably be more "achieved" in life like others I refer to. Stop playing games, do more work? maybe. That would change who I am though, although maybe a change is needed...

In an ideal situation I'd still be able to play games and work hard and achieve something. I think I'm reaching as an ideal situation as I can get, maintaining fairly nice grades, doing a decent amount of work in lab, and still going to anime club and playing RO. But it's always the inevitable feeling... when will the ideal situation end? When will I have to start achieving more and giving up what silly yet entertaining pleasures I have?

Life is never going to be so simple. I hope I can grow up without any problems...

No comments: