28.10.10

Ore no Imoto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Short post, I think, because I just happened to have my blogger account open and with nothing much else to do, and I just finished reading the first volume. Possibly a stop before heading to NicoNico or pixiv :V

Oddly enough I think the main character in this novel is remarkably cute, in spite of her aggressive tsundereness which is usually something I dislike immensely. I can attribute this to two things: her secretive otakuness, with a big emphasis on secretive, and her otherwise mature appearance. I think this is similar to why I liked Nogizaka Haruka except of course Nogizaka Haruka has the ADORABLE MOE personality as well.

I find that while outright otakuness is not much different from fanaticism and not that appealing in general, the "I have a secret hobby that I'm ashamed of and I don't want people to know about it" blush seems remarkably cute. Maybe its because its a relatable feeling? I find that many characters, despite their personalities, can become cute by just adding this simple trait to them. Of course most of them are otaku so that people watching can easily relate to them, but I think it doesn't necessarily have to be anime and manga; it could be any other hobby and it would be just as cute.

But probably, it would not work as well since anime and manga is sort of the "stigma" which everyone criticizes in society. Well, maybe drugs, but that's not something people easily blush and act cute about... I think. V:

The other thing is maturity. Her tantrums are definitely not mature, but I think due to her aura, her general appearance, and the fact that she knows how to ACT mature when she's in the right situation, she can make up for her random RAGE acts which of course occur throughout the story. Visually wise her character design is very cute, and so with the "I have a secret" personality this makes Kirino a very attractive character. The tantrums by this point seem a bit less noticable, and can probably be attributed to the standard "oh I have a bratty sister" situation but like I already said, since her physical standing and appearance seems alright, and since the "secret" personality trait is there... she turns out to be quite a cute character.

Other potential characters I'd like to know more about is probably the goth loli girl.... well that will see if any more light novels are getting translated. :x

As for other chars.... two meganes, they are so boring. In fact one appears to be made to be boring. :( And the main brother is a jerk, but at least redeems his brotherness at the end of the novel.

No comments: