12.9.05

Full Metal Panic- first impressions (OMGWTFMP?!?!?!!!1111one)

Yes, someone gave me a CD with the entire first season of FMP, so I'm checking it out. By first impression, I mean I only so far watched the first episode, so this really IS a first impression. Overall, I'm sure many of you will be happy to hear that I am quite "satisfied" with it, meaning I'll probably watch it till the end and it's not because I'm a sarcastic evil man who enjoys making fun of series like this... well... ok... maybe I am, and maybe I will make fun of this series, but the series so far isn't bad IMO!!! (I only watched one episode though :p)

As if it isn't obvious enough, FMP is a "PMA" anime. "PMA" anime obviously classifies into the giant mech-type anime such as the infamous Gundam wing series, and FMP,without a doubt, is fully PMAish, with a bit of high school action and fanservice thrown in. Because I realize that many people have not heard these genres I made up for anime, I will elaborate on a few of them right now. "PJBW" anime is similar to PMA anime, but not quite. First off, it doesn't necessarily involve mechs; in fact, probably most PJBW anime only involves fighting, and not giant robots fighting, but nonmechanical, fully biologically alive and mostly humanoid style fighting. Weapons can be used in the fighting style, but a really really PJBWish anime has lots of fisting-fighting action and majorly buff people. Well, as long as it has a decent amount of fighting, it works as a PJBW anime. :p Thomas anime involves most sci-fi anime that does not involve giant mech bots; these are usually more philosophical, can have some dealing with humanity, or is a miracle of science alltogether that isn't absurdly impossible, but rather inspires the thought: "Maybe that CAN happen..."; in other words, Thomas anime is very deep. Engi anime has to deal with more emotional feelings than anything else. It is usually the complete opposite of Thomas's anime but still has a "feel good" attitude about it; as in, scientifically, the concept is absurd, but the emotional effect of the anime is still deep and affecting. Engi anime can also be classified as any anime that just has exceptional music; if the anime itself sucks but the music is miraculously good, then it's also an Engi anime. XD And Guai anime involves any pointless comedy that just makes people laugh. And laugh really hard, at that. :p So good jokes only! not lame ones please. :p Obviously, my preference is Thomas, Engi, and Guai anime for reasons unexplained to some, only too obvious to others.
ANYWAY!! FMP seems fully PMAish, with a touch of Guai... it might get either Thomasy or Engi-ish in the future, but that's for me to find out, NOT FOR ANY OF YOU GUYS TO TELL ME!!!! (Pet peeve: spoilers) In any case, I have to admit that artwork design and characters are not very strong points in this show, but as the saying goes, "it could be worse". Some of the characters seem rather fake in FMP, but others are okay and quite entertaining. We have of course, the main character, who classifies as "the character PMA would be if he was cooler and not as arrogant", and I am looking foward to that mech otaku that was sitting in class, who classifies as "Probably the closest character to represent PMA irl"... The blond mech guy is funny, I look foward to his antics... the girl associated with them is a bit more "fake" or cliche, don't like her character too much... the blue haired girl is the naru clone... and we must always love pink haired finger munching girls!!! :o not really, but I thought that was kinda interesting :p
Artwork, from first glance, looks bad. I don't like anime where the mouth of the character is large, so that has an immediate negative effect on the artwork on me. However, like Honey and Clover, it turns out it's not as bad as I had thought it out to be... artwork probably ranks around the same range as Honey and Clover.
Music, I hvaen't heard much, but sounds good. Look foward to unintentionally singing it in my head in the future.

No comments: