1.2.07

Rewatching AIR, "The Life of a Cell" video

AIR is truly my absolute favorite anime. I think I only told this to a few people, so I'll tell this to a few more people that might actually read my blog: AIR is an absolute masterpiece. I'm rewatching AIR and trying to figure out some things about the mysteries of Kanna and her feathers and it continues to astound and puzzle me. It's as if it almost makes sense, but still not feasible enough to make a reasonable conclusion from them. It could be that I'm really overthinking all this and the stories of Kano, Minagi, and Misuzu are all different: as in, sure they have some similarities such as the feather, but no overall connecting "theme".
Actually this is wrong, there IS an overall connecting theme that's pretty obvious, but I want to look even deeper. Deeper, behind the mere stories of maternalism, and possibly try to understand what, exactly, are these feathers. Are they memories of the deceased? This right now seems like a highly logical conclusion, giving the connection of the living with the dead. Apparently, as seen with Kano, I believe they can contain more than just one deceased persons' wishes, dreams, and memories.
Its highly confusing and racking my brain, the whole concept of a feather. I think they contain memories, such as the memories that possess Kano and how Michiru says she'll bring happy memories, then turns into a feather. But I think there's also more. Rewatching AIR for the 3rd or 4th time will not be enough; I will have to look over it again sometime in the future.
Additionally, I left out addressing the issue of Misuzu. Hmm, Misuzu as everyone already knows is the reincarnation of Kanna, but seeing how Kanna is cursed and etc. she begins to go through painful experiences and is never able to make friends. Right now I can't really think of her being much deeper than that, though there could be more deeper meaning. (Plus I have yet to figure out what's the "scientific" name of her symptoms, I think its similar to Parkinson's Disease but I'm not sure). But one comment I do want to make: I believe Misuzu in the 1st timeline (the one where Misuzu never had a crow with her) was actually saved once Yukito disappeared. In that dimension, I want to imagine that she ended up living a good healthy life, minus Yukito. So what about the 2nd timeline? I have yet to think more on that. Maybe its the curse passed onto Yukito, and he is living his life as a dream. I will not know for sure, yet.

A few final comments. Many people are raving about Haruhi right now, and Haruhi is great and all, but really has not much "deep analysis" to think about. Or at least, its not the same type of literary analysis AIR gives. Its more of a philosophical "what if that can happen" sort of thing; rewatching it doesn't necessarily point out deeper meanings (but you may be able to spot cool scenes that you may not have seen before). To look for deeper meaning in Haruhi is just thinking more philosophically and doesn't even require rewatching the anime: what if the world is fabricated? What is time, space, etc? AIR is remarkably different and if I would say, more complex. There IS meaning in almost every aspect of AIR, even in those small frames where it shows a mother Robin feeding her chicks. Even that is a foreshadowing, a symbolic meaning, a link to the maternal themes presented in AIR. Everything seems connected, but I don't always know how they are connected; this is why it is so mystical.

Speaking of Mysticality, and relating to the fact that I have a biochem exam I SHOULD have been studying super hard for instead of rewatching AIR, I'll present to you this video. It is the GREATEST science video I have ever seen, and really re-inspires me to do more biology. I dare say that it rekindles why I want to be in the field of Biology. I may want to do something like this in the future; not just research, find new information, but present it in a beautiful, mystical way just like this video does to everyone, showing how complex and amazing the world of Biology is.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/tprojects/6850.html

EDIT: One more sidecomment I want to make about AIR: I do believe the game should be better, but I wouldn't know how tolerable I would be to trying to play it and figure it out. I heard from other people that its immensely long and tedious, most likely, so I'm not sure. :x I still really want to play though; I believe if it ever came out in America (haha insert laugh here) I would automatically buy it, no questions asked. :x This would probably present a problem with my parents... But yea, its hard when you can feel so riled up over a "followup" of something that was originally presented as a game much earlier, so I feel I really want to look into the source.

Don't worry (or maybe you guys should), I'll be talking more about AIR in the future, sometime.

No comments: