21.8.08

School Days

One of the few anime where I can endure watching it even though the main protagonist and one other character is completely horrible and despicable in character personality yet watchable because--SPOILER but not really because anyone who has the faintest idea what School Days is should be able to guess-- they die at the end. And die beautifully. The one girl that I like and find absolutely moe is the girl that survives, albeit insane. However, that's sort of why I liked the show. My friend says I have an unhealthy obsession with yandere just because I find them so fascinating...moreso than tsundere. Although I think in School Days the yandere had a good reason to go psychotic since she was pressured on so many degrees and, while trying desperately to maintain her innocence and true love, logically breaks down after so many people betray her. At least in my mind and in this anime, she was logically yandere.
There are of course others who are not particularly logically yandere. I think these yandere are more scary in that aspect, yet just like how horror fascinates people, I still find them rather particular. Ryoko from Haruhi is a different kind of yandere, one I call a "calm, smiling" yandere. In a way her relation to her victims sort of is like a human to a mouse in a science experiment, unable to fully relate to their subject. While on one hand this seems cruel, on another (especially since I'm going into a science field where this is often seen everyday) it's sort of a "that's how it is, it can't be helped" attitude. Other yandere, especially Kaede from Shuffle, can be rather scary. Kaede (although it could be attributed to her young age) had a less noble reason for killing and stems more from "I need someone to blame" than for a true reason. This is a scary yandere.
But I digress. Aside from the characters and plot, the music varies. The ending changes from episode to episode, and I liked some of them and didn't like so much some of the others. The opening wasn't that great either. The main thing the show had going was the art, which was near CG quality. I find the character designs quite beautiful and even more so by the fact that the most moe character turns yandere at the end...:V

"Nice Boat."- I couldn't figure out what this had to do with the anime at first. I mean, sure there's a boat near the end of the show but so what? I found out using wikipedia that it was some 4chan comment turned meme and eventually became crazy popular for whatever reason. Something about people being angry at the series and the guy just randomly pops in and says "Nice Boat". Oh well. 4chan, you don't expect logic in that. :V

Additional Comments: I finished Tokimeki Memorial Only Love before School Days, which is a decent anime except for the emo parts (like all these series). Now I'm watching To Heart 2. Kind of like To Heart 1, kind of boring, but there's no emoing at least. But it feels awkward watching it after School Days. Kind of like "I wonder if Konomi will pull out a knife now and go on a killing spree" awkward.
Sigh. More Schoolgirl/harem anime should end like School Days. :(

No comments: