26.4.09

Ga Rei Zero

Initially I wasn't going to do a write up for this series. I actually didn't know if I would even be able to finish the series, seeing how I dropped Kurenai, but it turns out I actually liked the series quite a bit. I have no idea why, but it might have to do with the girls turning into monsters.

I'll go over the basic review details really briefly. Essentially, the anime has impressive fight scenes, decently drawn characters and obligatory-but-not-really fanservice scenes. It also has an awesome intro song which I liked. But the main reason I wanted to blog something about the series is because of the whole concept of one of the main heroines ending up turning into a demon herself. Anyway blah blah spoiler warning blah blah although I think that's too late, but then again you find this out in the first/second episode anyway so its not really that big of a spoiler. (Althought I was quite annoyed how they start with all the action and then cut to happy happy peaceful life, but I suppose this is appropriate for the series).

At first, one would think that Yomi accepted the evil stone thingy on whim, because she was in despair and so the evil shota took advantage of it and turned her into a demon. But as the series went on, and more is revealed, I think (and possibly what the authors were trying to convey) was that there was really another reason why Yomi took the stone, and it was indeed to the benefit of... that other girl (who btw I thought was kind of annoying, she should have turned into a demon instead :V). Essentially from the time she killed pink haired girl to the time she accepted the stone, Yomi was completely helpless and was completely dependent on others for survival. In some way, this would have hindered others because of her form and their attachment to her, especially to that younger sister character. In the end, it seemed like who she really hated was not the sister but herself, but she couldn't do anything about it because of her state. So instead she accepted the stone and did bad stuff.
But in a way even though all that bad stuff was, uh, bad, it was also (possibly intentionally?) letting younger sister (lets call her imoto from now on, because I forgot her name) mature and grow stronger. Sort of like, accelerating her growth to become a better demon slayer. Of course, Yomi didn't like this solution that Mr. Stone came up with at all, and tried to end it herself, but if that had happened then imoto wouldn't have been able to become stronger. It's because, as imoto's father had stated, imoto has to bear all sorts of emotions if she wants to be truly strong, including the feeling of having to kill her own onee-chan in order to do so. I believe this is what the last episode was trying to say all along.

Yes this is sort of a twisted conclusion. But then again some people (coughPJBWcough) think the entire series is twisted in itself. But oh well. Watch out for brain-eating squishies taking over pretty girlies now. :V

No comments: