21.6.11

Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi

(Possibly spoilers etc? Kept at minimum at least)

Somehow my Utsuro no Hako review was referenced somewhere and I got a ton of traffic (ok... maybe more or less like 4 people) thanks to that...well it wasn't a terribly great review but I thought it was odd anyway.

Ok digression aside, I guess that encouraged me to discuss my thoughts on other novels I read. :V I actually have been reading a good chunk of what's available on baka-tsuki, though most of them I thought were rather mediocre. Tenma is not really any different, but it did have some interesting points here and there that made it particularly amusing.

The one thing I liked most about the novel is the characters. Or rather, two of the characters: Gekkou and his...uh... ditzy lightning girl. (Obviously her name is not important). Gekkou in himself is already a pretty cool character, but I think his pairing with the ditz really pulls through with his personality. Him alone would just make him look dark and emo and out for revenge (...which is true) but the sharp contrast with his partner is rather amusing, and provides an opportunity to put in him a different light.

As I stated, the characters seem to be the strong point in this story. In particular, its rather interesting how they don't just stick to one point of view in the novel, but for each chapter (almost) provide a different scene and a different view in (the appropriately named) the 900 seconds after school (or something like that). This has been done before (Animorphs!) , but I have not seen it a lot in light novels, so its not bad to see it again.

Possibly because of this alternate-view type of thing, the main plot didn't seem that... advanced, and most particularly the ending (given the history that they were revealing to the audience) seemed rather abrupt. The novel seemed to build up this plot that seems like there will be something epic in the end, but... the main enemy turned out to be that weak? It makes you think that they didn't actually defeat the enemy and maybe the enemy will return, but really (and maybe its in the translator's fault) the enemy dies in one or two lines, considering the effort it took before to build everything up.

Characters! With Gekkou put aside, the main princess girly doesn't seem like a bad character at all. I'd had thought she'd be tsundere but she doesn't seem very tsun (just very dere). Still, I can't help but think she's voiced by Kugimiya Rie... why... Argh why Kugimiya why...*ahem* that aside, I like the lightning girl. At least how she acts. Its pretty funny especially when she's next to Gekkou. Probably my least favorite is the main character, but, being a typical protagonist, I can't really say much about that. :V Over fine, normal, mediocre for a protagonist.

Finally, art. I don't think the art is that great, but the princess girly seems very pretty! The way the art is drawn most of the time seems... clumsy, in a way, as if they were not a professional photographer. But its ok. I can imagine the moe. That's good enough. I think. :V


EDIT: WTF!! THIS SHOW IS BEING MADE INTO AN ANIME, AND ITS COMING OUT THIS SEASON!!!

No comments: