16.5.08

H20: Footprints in the Sand

MY SUMMER ANIME SPLURGE HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!

(I realize I should be writing about Clannad first since it was a great series and deserves to have a review written about it but I am lazy atm so JUST WATCH IT IF YOU HAVEN'T and suffice to say that it was so good it made me like a tsundere as my favorite character.)

SO what is H2O: Footprints in the Sand? It is, in a more rash term, another one of those visual novel-themed animes. However, despite some mediocrity and cliche themes and characters, it has its merits. While I personally think the character personalities are a bit too overused and, at times, unrealistic, the character designs and seemingly unique plot makes up for it. I like the plot so far in that it's fairly non-predictable by my standards, which is a big plus considering many of the characters display very cliche personalities and actions. I always enjoy a scene that I wasn't expecting more than one where I can literally say what the character is going to say next.
In terms of character, I mention that they are cliche but for this particular anime I like the main boy protagonist quite a bit. He starts off being blind and is suddenly able to see again, which is not a character trait you see very often; in addition, he's a soft-spoken, typical nice guy except he still has his cheekiness in him so he's not a sucker when stupid and funny events come to him. But most importantly, he doesn't seem to emo (at least not yet) and devote himself to too many characters at once. He's a nice guy to all girls, like every other male protagonist in this type of genre, but he really emits a "I'm just a friend" type feel, not a player that tries to go after every girl while somehow not realizing it.
While many of the characters are somewhat cliche in personality, the major reason I kept up with the series is I find it to have beautiful character designs. Not as good as KyoAni works, but attractive enough to make me want to continue the series even when characters say cheesey lines. The two blond hair girls in particular are so very cute, and the one with longer wavey hair is so cute it makes me feel sorry for all she has to go through even though she brought it on her self. :(

Oh and the music for this series is very nice. :D

H2O makes the series sound so scientific, when it obviously isn't. In fact, it has more religious themes than science. :V

No comments: