18.5.08

Hayate no Gotoku

40 EPISODES IN ABOUT TWO DAYS. EXCELLENT SERIES TO WASTE TIME ON. YES.


In terms of the quality of the series, it certainly qualifies as a comedy series. Similar to Lucky Star, it provides a whole plethora of anime and just general cultural references, so much that many people will probably miss most of them. (I myself am sure I've missed a ton of them) A lot of the time I figure they're pretty specific references, but there are even some references so common that people who haven't seen anything related to the reference would notice them (For example, I never saw the Matrix but the oh-so-cliche freezing gunfight was there for one scene or so). But nevertheless its amazing how much references they manage to put in, and that's part of what cracks me up. How can you not be amused at trap-Hayate dressed up as Belldandy claiming his name is Hermoine, then some other character making a crack joke asking if he can do magic afterwards? :V
It IS different from Lucky Star, however, in that you can't easily say "OH I CAN RELATE TO THAT" with this series. Obviously, since many people are not combat butlers that don't die even after many profuse injuries and does amazing superhuman stuff, its bound to be more of a nonsensical "haha funny but it will never happen in real life" type of anime. Nevertheless, very amusing. I'm sure my experience with the anime is only augmented because I recognize so much references that are noted throughout the anime, but I'm guessing it'll be a fairly adequate show to watch even if its just casual. If no one has anything else to do for an entire day but to watch anime. It's certainly good to have days like this, I tell you.
The character designs were not exactly KyoAni style, but were still pretty good. In many cases, the character personalities made the characters cute, especially since many of them were so intensely exaggerated. After watching the entire series, I'd have to say that honestly (as with most otakus I bet) Isumi the directionally impaired girl is of course the cutest, but certainly Nishisawa the food girl comes pretty close with her school outfit being more attractive than the one used at the school the main characters go to. Hinagaku also looks surprisingly moe in a Utena outfit, though her usual style sucks in terms of clothes. I am sort of wondering why Nishisawa knew Hinagaku and Wataru but then again asking the story for plot is probably a bit too much. (Although with both being commoners I think its not that out of the ordinary, and amazingly enough it leaves MORE chances for plot development for a second season. It's like Hayate can't end...):V
THE MUSIC: I'VE DOES THEIR MUSIC. KOTOKO DOES THE OP SONGS. ENOUGH SAID.

Lun Lun Lun~

No comments: