16.2.09

Mamotte Shugogetten

Yes well, recently I finished Gundam SEED, watched two movies (PUSH and Shopaholic), but of course, Mamotte Shugogetten is most important. And probably the best although I'm sure people will assassinate me for saying that.

I actually started watching Mamotte Shugogetten a looooong time ago (like, when I first got into watching anime), but I never got the chance to finish it until now, finally. Having finally finished it now, my opinion is... I think that Mamotte Shugogetten wasn't some remarkably great anime. :V In fact, for the most part it was very... simple and straightforward. So straightforward, in fact, that there were episodes where I swore there had to be something fishy behind some characters, but in the end all the characters were pure hearted and etc. and I was like "O:". With that being said, at some points it was remarkably boring. However! MOST IMPORTANTLY... it was a great study in the history of Moe. When the anime was released 10 years ago, there wasn't as much of the moe culture as there is now (the only other possible moe icons I can think of is probably Ah My Goddess). I thought it was really interesting how considerably conservative Mamotte Shugogetten was (comparing to "modern" moe anime, although Shugogetten DID have its ecchi moments).
The first season, I think, showed the general concept of moe in the 90s. The OVAs, I believe, showed much more dramatic change in just the episodes themselves. I feel like the series starts drifting from its conservativeness and heads towards the more fetishy type moe that's predominant in today's culture, imo. The style of the art as well seems to become more towards modern moe standards (and imo more cuter, but that may just be because I feel that modern moe is more appealing). The stories also get more emoish in the OVAs, probably another sign of the difference in interests in these romance/harem type anime. While the first season seemed primarily (cheesy) comedy, the OVAs seemed much more serious. This can be seen in the characters too; the characters in the OVA seem a lot more... entertaining, in a way, while the characters in the original series never seemed that serious. Also, there was better pairing in the OVA compared to the original series, where everyone just went after the main hero and heroine.
On a side note, I read a little bit of the manga today and (as expected) the manga seems more in depth and entertaining. In fact the same is true with ToLOVERu manga, which I'm finding quite entertaining. I don't know why I keep watching these anime that's pretty crappy compared to the mangas, especially since I hate the Love Hina anime most especially since its so crappy compared to the manga... :V
Mamotte Shugogetten: A history of Moe and Harem anime. Don't watch it. :D

No comments: