25.2.09

Strike Witches

I finished this series a while ago and didn't make a write up on it, though I think I should give a few opinions on it. It has moe, after all.

First and foremost, I stand firmly in my belief that Sky Girls is overall better than Strike Witches. Sky Girls came first; I checked the dates on Wikipedia, so I'm absolutely sure about it. The OVA was the first to come out for Sky girls, which then the novels for Strike witches came out. I think then the TV series for Sky Girls came out followed by the Strike Witches OVA + series... regardless, Sky Girls came out first, Sky Girls was more moe, and Sky Girls had better characters/plot/etc.

That being said, Strike Witches was still moe, therefore I still must give it credit for being pretty good imo.

The weak point in Strike Witches, imo, was the overall plot of this whole Neuroi thing. The mere concept of aliens and magical girls in a scenario before WWII is just totally like, "wtf?" :V. About as WTF as a soda can turning into a girl, but lets not go there yet since I haven't watched that anime. Well it doesn't matter, the mass approves of moeness of all types, and I am part of the masses. Indeed, the character designs are very nice and appealing, which always makes the fanservice more *cough* tolerable (because we all know if we don't like the character or its designs, the fanservice can just exacerbate the visual pains...). Character personality as well has been fine-tuned to match moeness of each character, albeit some of the characters' personalities seem faulty at times.
The setting and theme is weak, like the plotline, so that it's not really worth watching if one wants any substance. It's visually appealing and can provide for some good sense of cuddly warmth without the icky emoness that's usually associated with romance-type series. And, according to my mecha-based friend, it has decent enough battle scenes that can even keep the mecha fan entertained, as so long as he can tolerate having a pantsu shot every 3 seconds in the battle. With that all in mind, its no wonder its quite a popular series: 60% moe, 40% action, and 0% plot! What can be better.
Music wise its mediocre. I realize a lot of music has been rather mediocre lately; perhaps the better songs are just somewhere else in the anime world? Well Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny had good music (and that's about the ONLY good thing about the series) so I guess they're there, somewhere.

CHARACTERS I LIKE:
1. LYNNE-CHAN (As if you couldn't tell from my previous Strike Witches post)
2. That night-watch girl that's always sleepy and wears black knee socks. O:
3. Amazingly, that one silent tsundere girl who has a younger sister in the hospital. At first I didn't think she was my type but when she became more "open" I thought she was pretty funny for her military-ness. :V It was quite cute, especially the part when her sister wakes up. "CHAAARRRRRGGEEEEEEEE" *points towards her destination*
4. I guess the white knee socks girl that's the friend of the sleepy black knee socks girl. She's kind of cute, but I think her personality and her voice are a bit... "fake" so to speak. Or maybe just the voice. Although her char design is kind of nice.

Anyway I made this post since it was recently announced that Strike Witches is getting a second season. Good going, especially since Sky Girls already had 24 episodes. More moe is always welcome. Still, you'd have to do some serious amping in plot and character development/personality to match Sky Girls. :( Maybe I'm being too stringent as a Sky Girls fanboy...

No comments: