24.1.10

White Album (Unfinished)

The flow of White Album is kind of odd.


I think its hard to read the atmosphere of this anime. At first I thought it would be one of those sad and emotional type of anime (and in a way it is), but its different. Its not... directly depressing. Or more precisely, its not consistently in the emotional mood. Neither is it happy; in fact, perhaps it has the mellowest cheerful moments I've seen in comparison to other romance or school type anime. Both the sad and happy moments are there, and they happen from time to time, but its softened out, not to sharply contrast each other.

The lack of background music may serve a role in the mellowness of this anime. Because music usually emphasizes the emotional mood of the show, a lack of it will likewise soften or reduce that impact. Usually I think this is a bad idea but the show is still intriguing. I can't say that I like it yet, I'll have to continue with it. I can't say I dislike it either. Although, the way it flows does make me anxious wondering how it will turn out in the future.

1 comment:

The Spatula said...

I mainly watched White Album because I like to use Yuki in QoH '99. I was hoping to see the famous "Yuki slap," but, alas, it wasn't in there. ;_;

One of the more interesting aspects is that it takes place in 1986 since I grew up around that time. It feels like it's trying to be a mix between anime and J-Drama with varying degrees of success.