27.12.09

Sherlock Holmes

Having read 500+ chapters of Conan in the last week or so, plus the fact that I read the (supposed) Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection quite some time ago, I'm of course obliged to watch the new movie that came out. Although truth be told I never remembered any Irene Adler or Prof. Molarity (Possible err in spelling the names) even though they appear to be famous Sherlock Holmes characters (even Conan mentions this!).

Of course, I couldn't forget Holmes and Watson though. :V

The movie all in all was entertaining, and I suppose that's all that is needed. The difficult part is that, because they are British, they sometimes speak so fast with their accent in a mumbling format that a lot of us have trouble figuring out what the hell they were saying in the first place. I figured sometime in the middle of the movie that I'd need to watch it again, with subtitles, to understand what they said. :V Well I think I got like 80%-90% of what they said (I think it might have helped, staying in England for a while) so it wasn't too much of a detriment. Was a bit of a nuisance though.

The movie, overall, was more comedy than it was action or suspense, I think. Comedy and Mystery, which I think should be good enough since I didn't go and watch Sherlock Holmes excepting superhero fights. Although the action might be part of it since they think most of the audience won't be amused by having a detective just walk into a room looking at minute details for most of the movie. Well, at least the fights had Holmes's train of thought so that was amusing to listen to.

Characterwise I thought most of them were entertaining but nothing out of the ordinary. In particular I liked Irene's character at the start, but then thought she was getting a little too sappy and weepy by the end of the movie. The Governess that Watson is supposed to marry is a token moe character, although I was half expecting to reveal herself as being an antagonist (which never happened).

(Spoilers possibly follow)

Most of the mysteries and "mysterious circumstances" that Holmes was trying to solve were pretty simple that I didn't really need Holmes to tell me how it was done. Of course I didn't know exact names of the drugs and stuff that they used but I had a good idea of what the mechanics were (ex. drugged in this part, combustion in that part). The main mystery parts I didn't get was the antidote for the fellow magic members (I didn't even think about that) and how the coffin was broken open and replaced with the dead body of another (I think he spoke too fast and I couldn't figure out the exact mechanics of what happened).

All in all Sherlock Holmes was amusing enough to watch, though no blockbuster hit. I highly doubt this was a script from Doyle's archives but its fun to watch. Its not everyday you can listen to deduction schemes especially in movies like these, so its pretty fun. It's one of the few movies I've watched in recent years so its good that its worth the watch. V:

No comments: