16.3.10

Final Fantasy XIII First Impressions

By First Impressions I really mean first impressions (like after 1-2 hours of playing). DUDE I'M NOT HARDCORE GAMER THAT GOES FOR 20 HOURS WITHOUT FOOD OR SLEEP :(

1.) WHAT DID THEY DO TO VANILLE'S VOICE. WHAT DID THEY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!?!? I haven't heard the Japanese version but :( She sounds like an old voice actor doing someone young. Or at least relatively old. Why can't they have legit 14 year olds voicing her???
2.) Snow is a "I WANNA BE A HERO" moron that seems like some combination of PJBW and PMA.
3.) Emo Shota is Emo.
4.) Other characters so far are satisfactory. I think the voice matchup with Sezh is pretty good probably because they modelled him after a foriegner, and I like his sense of personality. Also, Imoto's eyes are big. BUT YOU CAN'T PLAY HER!! Or so I've heard. щ(゚Д゚щ)!!!!
5.) So the gameplay seems to use time (chaining attacks) as the domain instead of space(choosing between different characters to do different attacks). I can't comment too much about the battle system yet since I haven't gotten access to all the options, but I sure hope they actually let me choose who I can control later on...
6.) Someone told me that the gameplay is like a "tunnel" or something where you just head for one direction, rather than having a world map or something where you can optionally choose where to go. Certainly I suppose for right now it seems that way, where its just basically Dungeon crawling without much to do except to collect the occasional item or save in the occasional save spot. I think again this is to promote the whole "time" domain rather than "space" domain, in that things progress linearly rather than being spread out and having options to do whatever you want and to complete them whenever you want. I think this is especially the case since all your stores are also your save spot, so you technically never need to go into a city. Like, ever.
However, its still very early in the game and maybe they do have something akin to a world map, and cities to go to. We'll have to see.
7.) You'd think by now that they could make the characters not run in such a funny and physics-defying way.
8.) WHAT DID THEY DO TO VANILLE'S VOICE?!?!?!?!? щ(゚Д゚щ)~!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Y.Leow said...

YOU REALISE MY OWN FIRST REACTION WAS OMG WHAT DID THEY DO TO LIGHTNING'S VOICE?!!?!??!!

Akuun said...

- The linearity sounds kind of like FFX, which only opens up later.
- If they got a 14 year old to voice someone then would that count as child labor? Also, it would probably be hard to find a really good voice actor at that age.

Enigmatic Cube said...

In some cases naturalness makes up for lack of experience. I believe (if "Koe de Oshigoto" is to be used as a reference) that there are a good amount of japanese eroge companies and doujin works that use reasonably young children (ie from high school or the like) to voice their actors, mainly because it has the whole first-experience and embarassment feelings all in one package.

Although you might be right in that they just should have hired a better voice actor for Vanille. Such as, one that maybe actually giggles cutely instead of going "Tee-hee" and sounding artificial. :(