4.2.10

Recoil Guard

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2010/203/1?rss=1

I wasn't particularly interested in the reasoning or statement behind this article except I thought that this was particularly related to the issue of recoil guarding (or whatever other similar action in other fighting games) where you only have a small time frame to immediately counter an opponent's attack with a sudden block, gaining some small advantage in the process. When you read about this directly, the initial thought is "that's nearly impossible, you'd have to predict your opponent's moves before he even does them", but then (as this article shows) the reaction time, in contrast to the acting time, is amazing. Most likely this action never even really reaches the brain (for example I might be RGing before I even realize I'm RGing) due to set "reaction" motor neurons in parts, which also, coincidentally, can be learned.

Relating Science to EFZ!

No comments: