4.4.10

Scientific Railgun

So another typical action anime with superpowered girls (I think this was done with Zettai Karen Children already?) although the flow of the anime was much better than Index. The characters are likable but in the category of "Moe but could be even better moe". In particular Uiharu is so unbearingly cute but I didn't like her character design!! Why couldn't her char design be switched with Saten so she could be the ULTIMATE MOEBOMB OF RAILGUN--

Well, I suppose that's the point of making all the characters evened out. :V Saten is actually a pretty cute character herself (maybe because I like her character design?) and also serves the purpose of being the character most of the audience can relate to. I think the storytelling is really effective in that, I think, many people can know how Saten feels (maybe not necessarily in wanting a super power, but in other factors) and can emphasize with her really well.

Or maybe its just me emphasizing with recent events. Not involving super powers though. Although a super power would be nice.

Also, Railgun has one of the best antagonists (at least for the first half) I have ever seen in anime. This is before we got to know her back-story (since well, that doesn't really make her a "bad guy" anymore) but just her nonchalant way of blowing things up and spreading her power was pretty awesome. And she wasn't arrogant about it at all, it was just something that had to be done, so she does it. She also carefully planned her procedures out so she can do her work while still making sure that the "side effects" of people affected by her project will go away, in that sense separating from those portrayals of mad scientists who do their work just because (I always disliked anime's portrayal of some scientists that way, as if they had nothing else to do but, in addition to doing their research, act like jerks and pick on their victims). That and her whole stripping reasoning makes her one of the best scientist characters I've seen in anime recently. :V

Hmm... other details about the show... Kuroko would be a pretty cool character except her voice is really odd IMO, and I can't get used to it... then again, I thought Mamiko Noto's voice was really odd before and I eventually got used to it thanks to Nogizaka Haruka, but anyway this case and that are different. OH and the lack of a clone army (and maybe Accelerator, he eventually turned out to be a cool guy?) was seriously disappointing :( I MEAN I WAS TOTALLY WATCHING THIS SHOW EXPECTING THEM TO APPEAR BUT INSTEAD EVERYONE ELSE FROM INDEX APPEARED EXCEPT THEM, WTF D:

Hmm... I think I'm missing something... oh maybe commentary about the main character?

...A normal tsundere it seems. ふつうー...┐('~`;)┌

2 comments:

Akuun said...

I find Uiharu endlessly amusing, partly because she can be so random sometimes (ie snake, headgear jokes, etc). And you know she'll probably cast Solarbeam or something sooner or later.

I like Saten for many of the same reasons. I always have a soft spot for the underdog and she is indeed probably the most identifiable of the characters.

Clone army shows up in the manga so maybe they'll come around if there's a second season.

The Spatula said...

Kiyama was definitely an interesting character, and I agree with your analysis of her. Also, she's a person I could mostly relate to in various ways, except maybe her Lamborghini - I still don't have one of those yet.