22.8.06

Insignificant Rant on Classes

The Arts and Letters class I have to take is the worst class I have to take up to date, and I'm pretty sure it will be the worst class I will be taking for my entire undergraduate years at USC.

I need to state first and foremost, I usually am against "hating" a paticular thing, object, person, or (in this case) class. Everything has its purpose for being, and I will understand that. HOWEVER, I truly find the class almost completely useless for me (it has uses to other people, of course) and I would much rather occupy some of my energy and hard work to something that can enlighten me in either science or (admittedly) anime than take this pathetic course. The course in which I speak of was a class I had chosen PURELY for scheduling reasons and had a variety of TWO DIFFERENT CLASSES: One dealing with Catholicism (I am not religious and do not wish to become involved with religious quarrels), the other dealing with the history of LA (which I am taking). The lack of variety is possibly the most frustrating thing of all. In all the General Education courses, I am not very fond of taking the required classes but at least I am able to find something in the course list that is fairly interesting, and for the most part I enjoyed my otherwise less-appreciable classes for History of the Western and History of the Eastern World.

But this course I have .no. interest whatsoever.

This is the problem. As the professor continued talking I just kept on thinking, "there is nothing I like about this course. Everything this course does is exactly what I don't want to do. This music sucks..." Essentially, this course is the most useless course I have taken since high school. And even the high school classes seem more interesting than this class. And in this class I have to work HARDER than most of my other classes. Possibly with the exception of Writing 140. I believe Writing 140 and this class are tied for the worst class I have to take, though Writing 140 lies more in its excessive workload and this class more on its content. But this class also has a ton of work to do, still.
I will consider making this class pass/fail, though I'm very hesitant as I am sure I will try to do well in the class even if I do realize its pass/fail (for fear that I get "fail" instead of "pass"...). IN that respect, if I get something like a B, I'd regret getting pass/fail... on the other hand, if I get a C, pass/fail would do very good.
As a general rule, I'll list possible positive effects of taking this class, at least ones I can observe of right now. Currently, at best this class will improve my social skills and knowledge of the area around LA, hence finding places to eat, getting around the city, and possibly even being able to talk to other people. However, from a previous job experience, I am feeling very anxious about that prospect. At worst, this class... will teach me to appreciate the tough classes like O-chem and Molecular Biology, and how, even though they may be so hard and so tough, the content is so much more interesting than learning about whatever nonsense this class teaches.
On a lighter note, I am liking my Electrical Engineering class, as it does not seem so strenuously difficult. I have to be extremely cautious, however, as many a time has I thought I got the hang of a class and just when I start to slack, WHAM!!! I'm hit in the face with something I don't get and my next midterm grade goes down the gutter.
My EE class is also extremely rich. Yes, rich. I mean, come on, they could have replaced those comfy chairs and donated something like, I dunno, new blackboards to the THH building? That room is the most "spoiled" aspect in the supposed "University of Spoiled Children".
And now, to conclude this rant appropriately, I give you the best cosplay picture at Comiket 70.
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/event/comiket06/cm000084.html

No comments: