20.10.03

Music & Math

"May not Music be described as the Mathematics of sense, and Mathematics as the Music of reason?"
- J. J. Sylvester

Wow. This is an incredible quote, and you have no idea how much I think this quote applies to me. First off, on surface areas, I can see how Math and Music relate. When looking at notes, they are divided into fractions, even using fractional terms. I often make errors in math, and I do that in music while playing also. (Ok, that's not exactly good but...) Indeed, if it weren't for the difference in emotion and reason, Math and Music might as well be the same thing.
However, They're not, but they still can fall into the same category only with different ways of knowing. Amazing isn't it, how they can be so similar but different from this "way of knowing"? When I play the piano, I must feel emotionally into it in order to play it correctly. When I do math, I must think logically in order to work it out correctly. Its amazing, I don't know why I didn't think of the two relating to each other more other than a superficial view.
>.> Music is becoming a really big part in life, isn't it? What's next? Music and Science? Music and History?

Probably not as farfetched as it may sound. :P
O yea. Chess interviews. Haha, I'll get to that.
- Engi & Thomas, the line which borders and connects the two sides.

No comments: